03 January 2012

Gobs of Whoopie Pies:

I know I haven't posted on my poor little blog in a very long time, but I have a recipe I want to share. 

This Christmas my mom wanted to do simple heart felt gifts versus buying us something expensive.  For each of my siblings and me, she made a personalized basket pertaining to our interests.  Inside mine was coffee and baking related things, because I very much enjoy java and making sweet treats.  Besides the home roasted coffee that my dad made up for me, my favorite thing was a recipe book for Whoopie Pies or Gobs written by Sarah Billingsley and Amy Treadwell.

Now, if you don't know what a Whoopie pie is, you're really missing out.  It's pretty much an inside out cake, but the size of a cookie.  The name varies depending on what part of the country you live in... and I can't tell you why either of them make sense. Especially since I wouldn't consider the Whoopie Pie a pie at all. 

The recipes are fairly easy and really fun to make.  Today I had a craving for chocolate and raspberry and something really magical came of it.  I started with a Classic Chocolate Whoopie recipe.

Things you'll need:

1 2/3C all-purpose flour                                              1 C (packed) dark brown sugar
2/3 C unsweetened cocoa powder                               1 Large egg
1 1/2 tsp baking soda                                                   1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp salt                                                                   1 1/4 C milk
4 Tbs unsalted butter                                                    Parchment Paper
4 Tbs vegetable shortening

The first thing you do is put an oven rack in the center of the over and preheat it to 375.
Then sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt onto a sheet of parchment paper.



The only thing I had to sift was this little hand held sifter.  I'm sure you can find something more efficient than I did.

Next you start beating together the butter, shortening and brown sugar on low with the paddle attachment of a standing mixer, just until it's combined.  Then increase the speed until the mixture is light and fluffy (2-3 minutes).  Add the egg and vanilla next for about another 2 minutes.  Once that's done, add the Half of the flour mixture and Half of the milk, (beat it on low until it's incorporated).  Scrape the sides of the bowl in with a rubber spatula and add the rest of the ingredients.  Beat it until it's completely combined.

 It should look like this:
  
Then using a 2 Tbs measuring spoon drop batter (about 2 inches apart) onto a parchment paper covered baking sheet.  Bake one batch at a time for about 10 minutes each.
Once they're done they look like this:


Next to do was create a filling.  The book I got the above recipe from didn't have a recipe for a whipped cream frosting or anything raspberry, so I went off book for that.

What you'll need is:

2 C Heavy (whipping) Cream
2 Tbs granulated sugar
1 tsp vanilla
Black Raspberry Simply Fruit (or a fruit puree)

First you have to combine the cream, sugar and vanilla in the metal mixer bowl.  Put that and the wire whisk attachment into the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.  Cream won't whip right if it isn't cold enough.  When the time is right start whipping the mixture on high.  When soft peaks form add about two heaping tablespoons full of the preserves.  Then whip again until the stiff peaks form.


Once your frosting is done, put it in a plastic bag or a piping bad and cut the tip off.  Finally, the cakes are ready to be frosted!





The final product looks good and tastes even better.  Store them in the refrigerator; if you have a lot left over you can freeze them and defrost them later.  I hope you enjoy!